Like many of you, I’ve been taken in and spun around by the 70s-inspired, R&B-meets-folksy sounds of Haim. Obsessed. In case you’ve never heard the name spoken, it’s pronounced haɪm, as in rhymes with ‘time’, and this sister trio has blown up in a big way. Probably one of the fastest tracks to the top of our time, which I love; it speaks to their talent. After all, their inaugural album was just released in September of last year!
With voices reminiscent of Fleetwood Mac and a talented all-girl energy not felt since the Bangles, these all too stylish ladies are quickly becoming a go-to on our Spotify playlists. Although, don’t call them a “girl band.” Understandably, the band prefers to be referred to as just musicians in a band.. why’s it gotta be a girl thing? I get it. Here are 5 things you probably didn’t know about Haim, plus a few of my favorite songs of the moment. Happy [Music] Monday!
1. They once embraced candy pop. Whatever. Didn’t we all? No shame. The two oldest sisters got their feet wet in an all-girl singing group call The Valli Girls, with an ‘i’ instead of an ‘ey’ of course. Cute. Gotta start somewhere! And let’s be honest, if we were offered a spot in an all girl singing group when we were 16 and dying to be famous singers, we would have done it, too.
2. Haim was just a hobby that the sister enjoyed on the side while they were busy with other projects.
Eldest sis Este, who you usually see on bass making her infamous “bass face,” holds a bachelors degree in ethnomusicology, which she reportedly completed in two years rather than the standard five. Ummmmm what an awesome major! I’m pretty sure that wasn’t offered as a concentration when I was studying vocal performance… talk about feeling gypped.
Middle child and lead vocalist Danielle toured with some notable musicians before deciding to take Haim more seriously. She kicked off a tour with Rilo Kiley’s Jenny Lewis, and also toured with the likes of The Strokes’ Jilian Casablancas, Scarlet Fever and Cee Lo Green.
And Haim baby Alana, who rocks out the keyboards and back up vocals, spent one year in college before saying eff this noise I just wanna make awesome music. Thadda girl! I know it was a gamble and all, but sometimes risk pays off, right?! And we’re all glad she gambled.
3. Seriously talented musicians. How cute are the family scenes in the video above?!I guess when your parents are undercover musical talents, you pick up a thing or two. Mama Haim plays the guitar and Papa can kill it on the drums. This reportedly made for some fun family gatherings! Now, Este plays both guitar and bass, Danielle plays guitar and drums, and Alana plays guitar, keyboards and percussion. Oh, and all three carry the vocals. No biggie.
4. The UK recognized muscial awesome before we did… again. In 2012, Haim signed with Polydor Records in the UK and later released their first single, Forever. They hit up a U.S. tour with Mumford & Sons then headed back across the pond to close out a tour with Florrence in the Machine. Later, the BBC announced that Haim had topped the Sound of 2013, an annual poll and new music review conducted by the who’s who of talent-seeking professionals. A nod to the talented group, for sure!
5. They stay humble and hungry. After all the hard work, long nights and grueling sets, they still seriously freakout when they hear one of their songs on the radio. Which I think is so awesome and adorable.