Forever 21 is a store that every gal has been to and can appreciate when they are on a tight budget. Known for its trendy high-end designer-inspired clothes at extremely affordable prices, Forever 21 is a store that every gal resources now and then (or frequently). Yet still, not many people know the history behind the store. Here are some interesting facts that I bet you didn’t know:
- Forever 21 is a family-operated business. On April 21, 1984, shortly after moving to American from Korea, Do Wong Chang, along with his wife Jin Sook opened their first store, titled Fashion 21 in a low-income part of Los Angeles. After graduating college, his two daughters, Linda Chang (now 29) and Esther Chang (now 24) joined the family business and took over as the head of the Marketing Department and lead Visuals Director (respectively).
- Forever 21 is taking over the world. Well, that may be a bit of a stretch. But with 477 stores in 15 countries (and they plan to expand to at least five more countries this year), the chain is quickly taking over the urban-trendy fashion market. Some of its stores are even located in the most high-end, ritzy areas including Fifth Avenue in New York where you can find a 96,000 sq. ft Forever 21, London’s ultra-fab Oxford Street, and the infamous Las Vegas strip where they sit pretty in a store that’s a whopping 127,000 sq ft.
- A little controversy is a recipe for success. Like many great fashion brands, Forever 21 didn’t make it big without a little fist-to-cuffs. For the past 10 years, there have been numerous designers and fashion houses accusing the self-labled brand of stealing their design concepts and selling super-cheap replicas that cheapen said fashions house’s image. Forever 21, however, maintains its integrity and insists that design robbery is not their intention. All of the cases have either been thrown out or settled privately. All worth it if you ask us–the controversies led to even more fame. The reasonably priced and fashion forward store is now even more popular with recent figures estimating a worth close to $3 billion. And good thing–because it seems all of today’s fashionistas can appreciate a “look-for-less.” I mean, where else can you have a guilt-free splurge on super stylish clothes you know you might only wear a few times?
4. They didn’t ditch the original: The very first store of only 900 sq. ft. is still open and operating to this day and bears the stores original name: Fashion 21
5 . They Hunt like crazy: They’re always on the lookout for designs from more than 2,000 original designers and once they find something they fancy, it’s in the stores in one to six weeks. HOLY MOLY! They don’t mess around.
6. They donated ALL OF IT: While many stores offered up percentages of sales to aid Japan’s earthquake and tsunami victims, Forever 21 donated an entire day’s worth of online sales from each and every one it’s e-commerce sites (there are six).
With plans to expand to even more countries, and open up at least 75 more stores within the next year and also create a more exclusive, couture line to carry in its stores, I think it’s safe to say that Forever 21 is a store that we will be able to appreciate for a long time.
Let’s be honest. With facebook photo tagging, recognizable pieces will get recognized A LOT. And we just dont have it in us all the time to buy a $300.00 dress that can only be worn 2 times. The best thing about Forever 21 is you can afford to grab some pieces that stand out and you can easily pair them with the high ticket items in your closet– like this: